Thursday, June 12, 2014

Wicked Chuck (Burger)

Jodies Kitchen Wicked Chuck Burger


One of the best things about being a foodie and traveling is finding new food that you absolutely love, then going home and trying your best to recreate it.
When traveling in Rome Georgia recently I had THE BEST BURGER I EVER ATE!
Dad had it as well and shares my opinion.

The trouble sometimes is that you dont always know all of the secrets that go into such a fabulous dish.I had to recreate this burger using what I thought would be comparable with what I had on hand.
I couldn't use Angus beef like they did because it's simply not in my budget.I used a cheaper ground beef but I still made it as close to 8 ounces as I could like they did..I am laughing so hard at the moment because it wasn't until just now I realized,
 That's a half pound of burger right there buddy!

The pimento cheese on their burger is a well guarded secret and I must say it's delicious.However my family has been making a great pimento cheese for years so I thought I would use our recipe for that.I did choose to leave out the cayenne pepper and jalapenos which I normally add when making my homemade version as you will see in my Pimento Cheese Recipe
The HarvestMoon Cafe also used candid jalapenos which were fabulous.I stuck with pickled jalapenos because that's what I had.

The delicious bacon they used which I bragged about still having a little chew,was something I had a little trouble with.Mine was still coming out too crispy no matter how I was frying it.I finally decided on deep frying my bacon..I know! Sounds like a heart attack huh? Well trust me if you are planning on having this burger we are not holding back on calories fat or carbs.Deep frying that bacon worked fantastic it was cooked  but still had the chew I was looking for.

The other issue I had was the crispy fried onions they had on the burger.They were delicious,and I will tell you I ate several of them off the original burger just by themselves.I had made onion rings before but never anything this thin and crispy.I knew I had to start with a very thin sliced onion (I used a Spanish white). I used my mandolin slicer.

 I sure hope I spelled that right and that's not the musical instrument..lol..Oh well.

It gave me the thin slices I needed.I had no idea what they coated their onions in before frying so I figured a light dusting with a mixture of flour and corn starch.The cornstarch in case you didn't know helps to make a more crispy coating when mixed with flour (just a little dab will do ya). I knew right away after frying the first batch they were not coated the same way but after tasting mine I was well pleased with the outcome and knew they would be very tasty and compatible with the original.
The bun unfortunately that I used was store bought.I used Kaiser rolls.The rolls they have are homemade.Of course I didn't have their recipe so my options were limited.I do make a homemade bun but this day I wasn't making buns so the store bought buns filled in nicely.

After my burger had been put all together I literally was snapping pictures like flash lighting so I could hurry and taste.I was filled with anticipation, heart racing ,and mouth watering.I was so anxious to see if I had come up with something close to the Best Burger I had ever ate.
FIRST BITE LEAD TO A HURRY UP AND TAKE A SECOND BITE.
I HAD DONE IT!
A WONDERFUL RECREATION OF THE RED HEADED STRANGER!
WAS IT EXACTLY THE SAME? NOPE BUT IT WAS AS CLOSE AS TWO YOUNG NEWLYWEDS.
I will continue to make this burger now in my home and every time I do It will remind me of the wonderful time I spent while traveling in Georgia.
OH THE NAME BY THE WAY.
I chose to call it The wicked Chuck.
I know weird name.
But the original being called The Red Headed Stranger was weird too.I need to ask them how they came up with that. 
I decided to go wicked because it reminded me of the pimento cheese they used although spelled and made differently,my Dad loves the burger just as much as I and his name is Chuck.My Dad was also a red head.
So a tribute to my Dad,our trip together, and the best burger I ever ate!


Jodies Kitchen Wicked Chuck (Burger)
Makes 1

8 oz ground beef. I seasoned with salt and pepper cooked to your desired taste.
Pimento cheese. I melted mine in microwave then topped my burger.My recipe to follow.
Pickled jalapenos. As many as you would like.
Bacon cooked.As much as you would like.
Crispy fried onions. Recipe to follow.

Jodies Kitchen Pimento Cheese Recipe
Jodies Kitchen Crispy Onions Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF