Thursday, June 19, 2014

Crispy Onion Straws

Jodies Kitchen Crispy Fried Onion Straws


Many of us have had onion rings and blooming onions.I just love them both,but don't make them very often because they can be a little time consuming.Lets face it they can be a bit messy to make as well.

My Crispy Onion Straws are just as tasty without all the mess and time of those others.The most important thing with these is you really do need a Mandolin slicer to get them cut extremely thin...unless you have a super sharp knife and some good knife skills.Using the mandolin not only gives you the very thin slices it also makes the slicing process go very quickly.

These are very delicate and the coating is very light.I like to drizzle my sauce over these before eating.I tried dipping them and they were to delicate for the thicker sauce I had.That part can be a little messy but hey there is a lot to say for finger licking good.
I used a Spanish white this day,but go ahead and use your favorite or what ever you have on hand.

I came up with these while looking for something to top my Wicked Chuck Burger with.After making just a few and tasting,it wasn't long I made up a batch just to have to munch on.My little one right beside me hand in plate.
I used a bottled green goddess dressing in this pic but you can definitely use what ever you want.My little one was just eating them by the handfuls as is,so any sauce at all is not mandatory.Its all about the crispy fried onion straws.
Make sure to do these in batches so you don't over crowed your fryer.


Jodies Kitchen Crispy Fried Onion Straws
1 large onion sliced thin.Then cut in half's for straws
3/4 cup flour (all purpose or self rising)
1teaspoon corn starch
Salt to taste 
Oil for frying
Heat oil in a large pot or deep fryer.About 350F
Mix together flour & cornstarch.Toss your onions in the flour mix and then add to hot oil.Fry until golden brown.Take out and place on paper towel to drain and salt while still hot.Continue process.If you have a lot to fry,keep fried onion straws in a warm oven on a sheet pan until all are done and ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. These are so addictive and my favorite!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF