Saturday, September 6, 2014

Saucy Skillet Pork Chops






Don't let this picture of my Saucy Skillet Pork Chops fool you. You may think by looking at it that the sauce will be a rich flavored pork gravy, but it's not.
 
Think more on the lines of a thin B.B.Q.Sauce
 
 
I am always looking for recipes for my family that switch things up a bit. I do get a lot of inspiration from the internet but sometimes I also like to pull out some of my old favorite cook books.
That's what I did with this one. The original recipe which came from my green Rockingham County cookbook was actually for ribs. I didn't have ribs so I used what I had on hand. I adapted the recipe a little which called for a long period of cooking time in the oven and did it all in one skillet on top of the stove.
 
I just love one skillet meals. I am a messy cook and don't often wash as I go so something like this fits me perfectly. I hope it will you too.
 
This dish is great served with mashed potatoes pouring a little sauce on top.
 
 
 
 
Jodies Kitchen Saucy Skillet Pork Chops
 
1 tablespoon oil
3 to 4 bone in pork chops
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar...may use white or apple cider
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
 
In a large skillet add oil and brown chops on each side but not cooking all the way. Remove chops,sit aside.Turn down heat on skillet to medium low. Add onions and cook until soft in the left over oil in skillet. Add all other ingredients and simmer about 3 minutes. Put chops back into pan turning over on each side to coat in sauce. Cover and simmer until chops are done. Time will depend on thickness of chops.
NOTE: I placed my chops under a broiler for about 3 minutes after they had finished cooking in pan, to get some crispy edges and this is optional.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, it is almost like what my mom used to cook for us, since she was a SDA, she used chicken meat. She added peas and plenty of big onion but no vinegar and dry mustard. We love to have more sauce to eat with our rice, yes, I'm Chinese. I always cook this dish. Will try your recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Lee.Your Moms recipe sounds fantastic as well.It sounds fabulous with chicken and I will have to give that a try myself sometime.Thank you so much for taking time to comment.

      Delete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF