Sunday, June 23, 2013

Spicy Cheese Biscuits






Spicy cheese biscuits are also called cheese straws here in the south.

They are very common and almost any southern church cookbook you purchase will have several different recipes listed.
When they are called straws.it is because they are actually piped out long but a little wider than a typical drinking straw. Most of the ingredients are always the same though.

Dad started making my Grandma Smiths recipe for cheese biscuits many years back. He made them his own though but adding more cayenne pepper to kick up the heat level, and using a cookie press for the "Pretty Little Cookies" as he calls them pictured here. You can watch his video making spicy cheese biscuits his way on YouTube - Video link below.

I am going to be very honest with you. I was never a cheese straw fan, even grandmas.
It wasn't until I was forced to try one of Dads that I changed my opinion of cheese straws. I think the texture was what I really wasn't a fan of.

Using the cookie press really does seem to change up the texture on these, making them much thinner than the original straw shapes.

If you have never had a cheese straw before, I suggest you have a cold glass of Pepsi waiting to help wash them down. If you are a beer drinker (I am not) I have been told by many beer drinkers they go well with a ice cold beer.



Another thing that goes well with Spicy Cheese Biscuits are my Chili Beans recipe HERE

SPICY CHEESE BISCUITS VIDEO HERE


 


Jodies Kitchen Spicy Cheese Biscuits

1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. butter
1/4 cp. corn meal
2 1/2 cp. flour plain
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper- These are not spicy with this amount of cayenne,We now make ours with 1 tsp or more.
Mix cheese & butter together,sift together dry ingredients.Stir into cheese mixture and incorporate until all is mixed together well and a dough has formed.Form into small balls,flatten with fork.(may use cookie press as pic shows) Bake 325 10 to 15 minutes on un-greased cookie sheet.NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A COOKIE PRESS PLEASE USE IT WITH THIS RECIPE IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.BUT IF YOU DON'T GRANNY'S WAY IS FINE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF