Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Easy Pastry Crust






I don't remember the first recipe I ever tried for pie crust, only that it was a failure.
I will admit I buy pie crust just as much as I make it homemade.

Sometimes there are those special times a store bought crust just wont do. I want something I know I made completely from scratch.

Once I decided to give pie crust a try again I drug out one of my Better Homes and Garden cook books. The 1969 Pies and Cakes. I have a whole collection of these handed down from my first mother n law.

I found the recipe very easy and found out that I could just press it in the pie plate if  I didn't feel like rolling the crust. It does turn out a little better rolling it than pressing, just because you get the right thickness using their method. If I am feeling lazy I press if not then I roll.



Jodies Kitchen Easy Pie Crust by Better Homes and Garden
Oil Pastry Crust - For 8 or 9 inch double crust pie. Sweet or savory fillings.

2 cups sifted flour, all purpose
1 & 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salad oil
4 to 5 TBS. cold water or milk
Sift together flour and salt. Pour salad oil and cold water or milk into measuring cup (do not stir). Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir lightly with fork. Form into two balls; flatten slightly.
Roll each between two 12 inch squares of waxed paper. When dough is rolled to edges of paper, it will be the right thickness for crust. Peel off top sheet of paper and fit dough, paper side up into pie plate. Remove paper. Use remanding dough for top of pie if desired, or another single pie crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF