Saturday, October 4, 2014

Banana Pudding




Old Fashioned Banana Pudding is a favorite to many, but some people started taking short cuts years ago.

People like me, and I was happy with that...LOL... It was because I didn't do that much baking from scratch.

My husband would always say when I made my quick no bake version, 
"I wish you would make a old fashioned banana pudding with that meringue".
 He loved moms!                                                      

I always left the real deal to mom, its always been her thing.

Many of you who follow me know I am allergic to banana's, crazy I know. Not all of my life, but I think it was sometime in my 20's when I had a banana milk shake that it first hit me. It didn't take long to figure out I could have no banana anything, and even in the smallest of amounts I would be sick.

I am very fortunate to be able to tell you, I do know first hand how delicious this banana pudding is because Mom has been making it since I was a little girl, so I enjoyed it many times before bananas were a no no for me.

You will notice that the meringue has no sugar. Mom makes it without just because the banana pudding is sweet enough.



Jodies Kitchen Banana Pudding
3/4 cup sugar
2 TBS flour (all purpose)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Vanilla wafers mom uses almost a whole box
6 bananas very ripe

In top of double boiler, stir in first 4 ingredients. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks very well with fork. Pour yolks into rest of ingredients in the double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Beat egg whites to a stiff peak, sit aside.
In a 13x9 casserole, layer starting with wafers, bananas then custard. Continuing until all is used.
Top with beaten egg whites and place under broiler until browned.
This may also be made in a round casserole if you wish.
Moms Note: When making the custard in double boiler she only lets it thicken slightly. She likes it to still be thin enough so when layering, the custard can ooze down into the other layers slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF