Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Blackberry Cobbler

Jodies Kitchen Blackberry Cobbler


This really was a very unexpected post but it should not have been a surprise to me.
 
My husbands favorite time of the year is fall because he loves the cooler weather and loves to get outdoors so he can cut wood.He likes the summer pretty much for only one reason and that is blackberries.They are one of his favorites.Honestly until we met I didn't do a whole lot with black berries.Well of course when I was a kid they were a treat to just to pick wild and cobble up.
Since my husband was so wild over blackberries,and cobblers to be exact. I decided many many years ago I better start making them.I do believe the way to a mans heart is through his stomach.At least that's what he keeps reminding me after all these years...I guess he just keeps saying that so I will keep feeding him..lol.

The other day D.C. (my hubby) and Seth (my youngest son) decided to go out and do one of their favorite things together in the summer.That is pick wild blackberries.They enjoy the walk and time they spend together just as much as picking.It's good Father & Son time and gives my husband many opportunities to teach our son his outdoor tips.

Several years ago a very sad thing happened and we had to cut our timber.It was something we said we would never do.When we bought our home on 22 + acres we wanted it for all it's beauty and what it had to offer.My husband being a deer hunter wanted it to hunt as well.We had paths cut all over the land in which we took golf cart rides,went 4 wheeling in his truck used it sledding.Oh well I'm gonna start crying now just thinking of all the fun we had.

Dry it up Jodie ...It's already growing back!

Well things happen in life and we needed the money from the sale of the timber.A heart breaking and very hard decision for us both.
Now that it has been several years we have lots of new growth on that part of the property.It did of course open up lots of sunshine for new things to grow.

ESPECIALLY BLACKBERRIES!

When D.C. and Seth came back from their walk they presented me with a couple of quart bags of blackberries and that look he gives me when he said..."I sure wish I had a blackberry cobbler".

If you think you dont like blackberries maybe it's because you have eaten some that were not picked when ripe.A perfect blackberry will be plump,black no red at all and will pull easily from the stem.

Our blackberries were beautiful and I could not resist.
Jodies Kitchen Blackberries

So I made his cobbler and now sharing it with you.



Jodies Kitchen Blackberry Cobbler

 Prepare Berries  
1 pound blackberries 
1/2 cup sugar or amount needed to sweeten
Mix together and let sit about 15 minutes then add 3 TBS water and mix together.

1 cup self rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick melted butter
pinch of salt
In a bowl mix together flour, sugar,milk, butter and salt.Blend well.Pour into your baking dish then pour berries with juice on top.DO NOT MIX!Bake at 425F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbling and topping is golden brown.
Goes well with vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF