Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ham Strata

Jodies Kitchen Ham Strata


Boy aint this an oldie.

Had you forgotten about Strata's?
Well I hope this brings back a good food memory for those of you who are familiar with a strata.
Many many years ago I was given a awesome collection of Better Homes and Garden Cook books from my first Mother n law. I have no idea how old they are because they originally belonged to her.I had started making different types of stratus after reading a recipe in one of those cook books.Over the years I just started whipping them up with what ever I had on hand,that is how the whole Strata thing came about anyway.

If you have never had a basic ham strata before but you have had and like quiche then you will probably like this.The difference really is the bread.Yes this has bread and what type you use will be all up to you.I actually used some left over dinner rolls in this particular picture.But I have used regular and whole wheat sliced bread,hamburger and even hot dog buns.We never have left over french bread but that could be used as well.Normally you would let a strata sit several hours before baking.I don't really do that unless I am using a thicker dryer bread.

These are wonderfull because you can add so many different things and use up any old bread you have.You can change up the meat (just make sure it is pre cooked). You may add vegetables or even other seasonings.I kept with the old fashioned tradition on this one.


Jodies Kitchen Ham Strata
4 dinner rolls torn into bite size pieces (you may use sliced bread which would be about 4 slices)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
6 ounces of cooked ham finely chopped (I used sandwich sliced ham and cut into squares) 
Nutmeg (just a pinch)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
6 large eggs beaten well
1 cup half and half or milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
8 oz Shredded cheese of your choice ( I used colby jack in this pic)
 
Preheat oven to 350F.Butter a 9 inch pie plate and place torn bread in the bottom and then layer your ham on top of that.Add half of your cheese as the next layer.Mix all other ingredients together except remaining cheese and pour over last layer.Finish off with the remaining cheese on top.Bake for about 30 minutes.Let cool slightly before eating and refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF