Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Barbeque Ribs

Jodies Kitchen B.B.Q. Ribs


Being from North Carolina one of the other known States for ribs in the U.S. I must say I have had my share and variety.I like a rib that is both sweet and a little tangy.I like a sauce that is thick and sticks to the ribs and just about as messy as you can get.I dig in with my hands and a load of napkins on the side for these.

I wish I could tell you I was some great rib master who smokes ribs the old fashioned way,but I don't.I use my oven and sometimes grill so having ribs any time of the week is always an option for my family.

I do take the low and slow method and never par boil my ribs which I think is some kind of unspoken sin in the rib master rule book somewhere.If you have cooked your ribs low and slow they will be just as tender and juicy as any rib that has been in a pit for many hours smoking.
 
AH SMOKE! Well that's one thing you wont get with the average in the oven rib,and you will not have the traditional smoke ring in your ribs.I have found a way to remedy the smoke flavor problem tho by adding powdered smoke to my rub.Now is this cheating? I suppose so, but what matters in the long run is a finger lickin good rib.If you don't have powdered smoke don't let that stop you,the recipe for the sauce has plenty of flavor and you will be sucking on those bones till the very last one is gone.
 
I cook my ribs all the way done before adding the sauce and then letting cook uncovered about 15 more minutes and then yes I sauce them again before serving...That's all optional and you can use the method you like the best.
 


 Start with the rub
I use Powdered smoke, black pepper, salt, a little brown sugar and cayenne pepper


 Now the ribs have cooked about 4  hours in a 300F oven without sauce and uncovered.

Ready for some sauce!


Ribs were sauced and placed back in the oven for about 15 minutes uncovered on about 400F

Now they are ready to be served...Oh don't forget more sauce if you wish and leave enough for dipping if you like.



Jodies kitchen Barbeque Sauce for Ribs
Makes about 3 1/2 cups

2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tbs. light brown sugar  
5 tbs. White sugar
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
1/2 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce. 
Salt and Black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a sauce pan mix well.Bring to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes making sure to keep stirred.Sauce is ready to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF