Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cranberry Kale Salad







I am always looking for a new and exciting salad to try.My family had always been the type to eat the regular old garden salad with ranch dressing.

Several years back while I was at a Birthday B.B.Q with family I had a terrific salad that had cranberries in it and absolutely fell in love with the addition of those sweet little burst of flavor.Since then I have been trying different combinations with the cranberries.
I was on sort of mission you might say.

About a moth ago I was in Sams Club when I seen a packaged salad that I thought sounded interesting.But with my budget I am always trying to cut corners and frankly I didn't know about the dressing that came with it.
So what did I do?
I took out my notepad and copied down the ingredients listed on the bag.I already had all of the ingredients except Kale and Chicory.Neither of those are favorites in my house. 
What is a favorite is Aunt Kathy's Dressing,and I knew it would be a perfect match with this salad having the bitter Kale and Chicory.

Once I assembled the salad and added the dressing I knew it was going to be fantastic.I did think however it could stand a few other ingredients and a little resting time after being dressed.In the end I also added some sunflower seeds and celery.The original ingredients also called for broccoli which I thought I had and didn't. 
Hate when that happens!

Any of the ingredients could be played around with but this was truly a great combination.


Jodies Kitchen Cranberry Kale Salad
Salad Ingredients
(amounts your choice)
Kale
Chicory
Green Cabbage (shredded)
Brussels Sprouts (uncooked,shredded)
Celery
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Sunflower Seeds
Dried Cranberries
Aunt Kathy's Dressing
2 tbs. white distilled vinegar
4 tbs.white sugar
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
1/2 tsp.salt
2 tbs. Accent
Whisk all together until well combined.You may use a processor but I use a mason jar and just shake it all together.
Assemble salad, add amount of dressing to coat but don't overload it.Toss and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.Any left over dressing can be kept and used for later.

2 comments:

  1. Luce muy buena y hermosa su ensalada original y exquisita me encanta,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful salad for fall...love all the colors and textures! Pinned and tweeted!

    ReplyDelete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF