Thursday, October 24, 2013

Creamy Turkey and Rice

Jodies Kitchen Creamy Turkey and Rice

I have been making this dish for many years now with Chicken,due to me just roasting a 13 pound turkey a week ago and freezing some of the meat and broth,I thought why not turkey instead of chicken.My family loves turkey.
 
This is thick,creamy,satisfying,and just might become a favorite comfort food of yours after giving it a try. It is not like a Soup ,but will remind you more of a nice creamy risotto.
 
 This is also a very budget friendly meal.I used the rice as the bulk in this dish and only used about 1 cup of cooked turkey.
 
I have never written a recipe for this,so I will do the best I can with the method for you.I will tell you this,I don't recommend using instant rice in this dish.I use the traditional long grain white rice that you normally cook for about 20 minutes or so.
Remember this started out as a chicken dish so if that's what you have, by all means use it.
The Peppers I used in this is optional.We like heat,although this particular pot was not very spicy,its always an option.
This also has poultry seasoning and celery seed,but you can do just salt and pepper if you wish,it will make a difference because both of those does add great flavor to this dish whether using turkey or chicken,and takes it from being a so so dish to something delicious.
Fresh parsley isn't in season at the moment,but I do harvest mine and dry,so you will see later I used Parsley,fresh is definitely the way to go if you have it,but if you don't, use dried or you may omit it all together.


 In a large stock pot I added about 1 quart of Turkey Broth and brought to a boil.I then added my rice.If I had to guess about 1 1/2 cups.I also added 1/2 jalapeno, a few whole cayenne peppers,salt and a about 1 tbs butter.I simmered this about 15 minutes with lid on.
 

After cooking about 15 minutes with the lid on I take the lid off and turn the heat back to medium high, add about 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning,and the same amount of celery seed.
I add more Broth and then continue to stir every few minutes adding broth a little at the time.This method gives you a nice creamy consistency.
 I continue to do this until the rice is done,making sure to add more broth as needed.
Then I add cooked shredded turkey, black pepper,dried flat leaf parsley
(use fresh if you have it) and take off heat.
I then finish this by adding 1 tbs of butter,mix well and check for seasoning.
This will still thicken a few minutes after butter is added.
Your done.Serve while hot and enjoy.


Jodies Kitchen Creamy Turkey & Rice
 
Broth... about 1 quart
Butter...about 2 tbs..Divided
Rice...about 1 1/2 cups
Peppers...Use your favorite spicy..or omit
Salt...to taste
Poultry seasoning...about 1 1/2 tsp.
Celery seed...about 1 1/2 tsp
Turkey Cooked & shredded I used 1 cup (may use the amount you wish)
Parsley...If you don't have you may omit
Black Pepper... to taste

Bring Broth to boil add rice, 1 tbs butter, peppers and salt.Simmer about 15 with lid on.Take lid off turn up heat to medium high,add Poultry seasoning,celery salt,and more broth stirring every few minutes,adding more broth as needed until rice is cooked,and you have a nice thick creamy consistency.Add Turkey black pepper,and parsley.Take off heat add 1 tbs of butter,and mix well.

2 comments:

  1. Can I use chicken instead of turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you most definitely can and I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF