Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Smokies

Jodies Kitchen Sweet & Spicy Bacon Wrapped Smokies


I had seen a similar version of these all over Pinterest and Facebook. They definitely looked yummy. I had a party coming up and wanted to offer up a something new for everyone to try. I looked over the original recipe and thought I needed to tweak it to my families liking.Now we love Spicy things,and when you add Sweet & Spicy together,we are some happy campers.I knew these would be really sweet with the amount of Brown sugar in them so I thought of adding the Cajun Seasoning.We use Slap Ya Mama. Now it not only has Red pepper to add the heat that I wanted, but also,garlic and a couple other thing I thought would only enhance the flavor. I also Changed the cooking method slightly,by draining after cooking in the oven a while.If you notice in the pic they were on a 2 tiered server,the bottom was fruit I had for the kids,I had no idea if the little ones would like them,so I thought I should have fruit to offer the kids. AMAZINGLY they LOVED them.I think they ate as many as the adults did.I cant stress enough what a huge success these were.Everyone wanted the recipe,and I am definitely having these at every party from now on.The amount of Cajun seasoning is going to be up to you and how spicy you like it.Therefore I gave no amount in the recipe.Give it a try,you can always add more.


SLAP YA MAMA Link  http://www.slapyamama.com/


Jodies Kitchen Sweet & Spicy Bacon Wrapped Smokies 
1 pound Little Smokies
1 Pound Bacon..cut into thirds
1 stick Butter
1 cup Brown sugar
Cajun seasoning to taste
Preheat oven to 375F. Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie with a piece of bacon. Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish, ( I used a disposable one) Sprinkle each smokie with a generous amount of Cajun seasoning. Place smokies in the oven and bake 15-18 minutes then pour off any grease from the bottom of your pan. Melt  butter and then add 1 cup of the brown sugar and stir until mixed well. Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture on the smokies and bacon.Sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over smokies again. Then take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies. Bake them for about 15 minutes and then I tossed them around gently making sure all was coated evenly.Then place back in the oven turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy. At this point you can taste one and see if more Cajun seasoning is needed,if so sprinkle more before they cool off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF