Saturday, November 21, 2015

Sunny Coconut Cake






I was visiting mom the other day and she pulled this beauty out of the refrigerator for us to try.
When I seen it, I actually thought it was the FINGER LICKING GOOD CAKE
I thought she had made it wrong...lol..I should have known better.

She informed me it was a coconut cake.She had the recipe for many years and had always wanted to try it.

I have no problem being her little test piggy.
I am not a huge coconut fan however.
I really did like the cake, but if I were to ever make it I would have to change the type of coconut the recipe calls for.

This called for the flaked coconut which comes in the bags off the shelf.
You may even be able to get it in a can...not sure.
The closest thing to having fresh coconut is the kind you would find in the freezer section at the market and is truly better than the flaked (mom and I both share this opinion).

It's a very moist cake and the filling and cake can be made ahead which is always a plus.








Jodies Kitchen Sunny Coconut Cake
2 cups sour cream (16 ounces)
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
14 ounces flaked coconut
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg (3 ounces) orange gelatin
1 cup water
1/3 cup veg oil
2 eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, well drained - reserve a few for garnish


Filling:
In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, and orange juice.
Beat in coconut, cover and refrigerate.

NOTE: This filling can be made several days ahead and kept until ready to assemble cake.
Cake:
In another bowl combine cake mix, jello, water, oil and eggs, mix well.
Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake test done.
Cool for 10 minutes remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Assembly and frosting:
Split cakes in half, sit aside one cup of the coconut filling, spread remaining filling between cake layers.
Beat cream until stiff speaks form, and fold into reserved filling.
Frost tops and sides of cake, garnish with a few saved oranges, refrigerate until ready to be served.Yield 12 to 16 servings.

Cooks note: You can make layers ahead of time and freeze as well as make filling in advance.



;

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF