Saturday, July 25, 2015

Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast





 A yummy sweet treat for breakfast or a whimsical dessert!





A quick trip out to my blueberry bush and the short time it took me to gather and assemble ingredients, I made my delicious Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast in about 30 minutes.

OK, I didn't time it exactly, but it is quick and easy, and good.
This is one of those recipes that can have many variations switching up the bread, the fruit and even the filling.

Many of you know how I adore my waffle iron and I am constantly making these quick and easy french toasts with loaf bread.
This recipe actually came about when I was making the exact same thing with strawberries.It wasn't until my mother n law starting sharing her blueberries from her bush that I starting using blueberries in this as well.That was before I had my own bush, which by the way she gave me.I have a sweet mother n law.

If you dont have a waffle iron, don't sweat it, I think you could do this in a skillet and it should do well.The difference would be, the waffle iron will seal the edges some what and just cooking in a skillet would not, which may cause the filling to ooze out a bit.

Let me know if you make this in a skillet and how it turns out.



Since I dont add any sweetness in the filling (but you could) and it is just cream cheese it does need some sweetness.I usually sprinkle the top with confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) or add pure maple syrup if I am really feeling naughty.




Yeah I was naughty this day!


If you are watching calories here are some ideas for you:

*Change up the bread to 100% whole wheat or the bread of your choice for a lower carb intake.
*Choose low fat cream cheese.
*Choose a sugar alternative that  fits into your diet to sweeten the cream cheese.Just mix it right in the cream cheese and you can skip the syrup.
*Choose the sugar free syrup found in stores.
*Make a blueberry syrup topping of your own, by adding blueberries to a heavy bottom pot and adding sugar or sweeter of your choice and boil on medium high until berries have started to pop and a slightly thickened syrup has began to develop.
*Replace real butter for cooking with your choice of a lower fat oil.



Jodies Kitchen Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast
Real melted butter, enough to coat waffle iron
2 slices bread
2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temp or whipped, just make sure it is spreadable.
Blueberries,a handful
Egg mixture
1 small egg
Milk, just a splash to thin out egg
Vanilla extract, just a splash 
Mix these all together and sit aside.
Powdered sugar and or syrup
Grease preheated waffle iron with melted butter.Spread cream cheese on one slice of bread making sure to spread all the way to the edges.Top the cream cheese with blueberries making sure to cover the slice of bread, and then add other slice of bread on top.Dip both sides of bead into the egg mixture and place in waffle iron.Close lid and cook until golden brown.Remove waffles and top with powdered sugar and or syrup.More fresh blueberries if you like.

2 comments:

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF