Saturday, May 16, 2015

Low Carb Pizza


A fabulous low carb, high protein packed pizza that taste like the real thing.




I know you must be thinking several things, just like I was when mom called me on the phone telling me about the low carb pizza she made.
She was so excited and just bragging on how good it was and how it tasted just like pizza.With her being a diabetic she gets very excited over things of this nature.
My thoughts at first was, well if there is no flour in this, it must just be a crestless pizza with mounds of toppings baked in a casserole dish......WRONG!
I then thought, well it may be close in taste, but no way it would taste like real pizza, especially after she informed me it did have a crust, and what it was made out of....WRONG!
She even went as far as to tell me my oldest son who consumes more pizza than imaginable, loved it.
So I then got to thinking HUM, she just might be onto something if he liked it so well.

I wasn't able to rush over to her house to get the pizza fresh that day, like I have done so many times when she calls me and says, you must try this.I had to wait until the next day.

When I arrived she warmed me a slice of the pizza and I was absolutely amazed.I was really eating something that was made out of a crust with eggs, that tasted just like pizza.
WOW! HOLD UP! Did you catch that? The crust was made from egg.Of course it had other ingredients, but no flour of any kind, and all ingredients you would most likely have on hand.No complicated substitutions for a diabetic.
I am not diabetic and loved this.

I ended up asking for another piece of pizza then went home and make one for my family the next day.I wasn't able, and didn't try to fool my family with this recipe.Well maybe a little, I didn't tell my little one it was a crust made of eggs.He is still at that in-between liking eggs or not stage.
I just called it another pizza casserole.
They gobbled it up, well until after the 3rd slice when I let the cat out of the bag and my little boy said I dont like it...LOL....Typical kid tho.
I made another one the following week and switched up toppings.My little one asked before even taking a bite, is this that egg pizza? I said no (shame on me) He ate that thing up, and this time I just kept my mouth shut.

I wont try and trick you, this does not have a super crispy crust like a new york style pizza.It will remind you more of a deep dish pizza.You will be able to pick it up though or use a fork if you wish.If you go back and look at the picture, the middle piece I scooted the toppings over a bit while it was still hot so you could see the actual crust this makes....I know nice of me HUH? I am just trying to make a believer out of you.
The toppings are your choice just like with any pizza, and if you are trying to also watch fats, then I recommend still using regular cheese, just watch the meat toppings.You will get plenty of protein from the egg crust.So load up with fresh veggies for a supper delicious healthier pizza.

Now, the original recipe Mom gave me over the phone was not exactly how I made mine.I didn't do many substitutions just some simple ones and I will note it in the recipe.


Jodies Kitchen Low Carb Pizza
Crust
4 large eggs at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature NOTE: I used Neufchatel
1/3 cup whole milk NOTE: Mom says to use heavy cream for lower carbohydrates
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese Note: Mom used Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.Note: I used fresh herbs from my garden.Oregano, and a little rosemary.
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder Note: I used fresh minced garlic, a little more than 1/4 teaspoon.
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese 
Preheat oven to 375F.Grease a 9x13 baking dish.With a mixer beat together eggs, and cream cheese.Add the milk or cream, Parmesan, seasoning and garlic.Blend well.Sprinkle mozzarella over the bottom of the baking dish in a even layer.Then pour the egg mixture on top of cheese.Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
TOPPING
2/3 cups marinara or pizza sauce Note: If you are watching carbs and using a sauce from the can use a no sugar added or low carb sauce.
Additional topping for pizza of your choice.Leave the meat off if also watching fats for a even healthier pizza and load it down with veggies.
1 &1 /4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend or just mozzarella.
Add sauce to cooked egg crust evenly and then add toppings & sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese is bubbling golden brown, oven at same temp for crust.Let rest to cool slightly before cutting.This recipe works great as as leftovers reheated in the oven.






No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF