Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Crab Rangoon With Sweet And Sour Sauce In Wonton Cups







Recently I co-hosted a baby shower for my first born grandchild.
I took mommy to be into consideration and wanted to make one of her favorites, Crab Rangoon.
I knew however; that I would need to make a lot and the normal frying method was not going to cut it.
First off, I didn't want the house to be filled with the smell of freshly fried crab Rangoon when guest arrived, and secondly that would be a lot of frying.I had about 100 of these little babies to make and knew I needed a way to make them so I could do some prep in advance.

Now, I have made these many times at home but always fried them just like they do at the Chinese restaurant, which is by the way, my favorite way.I love fried wontons. 

SEE MY FRIED VERSION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST!

So, I already knew how to make the filling we liked and already had the recipe for the sweet and sour sauce.I remembered seeing crab Rangoon in baked wonton cups on pinterest last year and thought
 AH HA! Perfect.I can pre-bake the cups and then fill before the guest arrive.

The recipe can be halved easily and you can adjust amounts of crab.I went heavenly on the crab, which by the way, was the imitation crab meat because that is what the Chinese restaurants around here always use.I have given you the recipe to make approximately 50 crab Rangoon cups, but this can be doubled for 100 or halved for 25.

If you are making these for a party I suggest that you put your sweet & Sour Sauce in a squirt bottle for fast and easy application.The sweet & Sour Sauce really makes these delicious.


Jodies Kitchen Crab Rangoon With Sweet & Sour Sauce In Baked Wonton Cups
(Makes Approx) Can be halved or doubled
1 package imitation crab meat (16 ounces)
2 packages cream cheese room temp, 8 ounces each
1 green onion (scallion) diced, green and white part
1 package wonton wrappers.50 came in my package.
Oil for coating wrappers.
Dice crab meat.Add crab, cream cheese and onion together in a bowl and mix until well combined.Sit mixture aside.
Brush each wonton wrapper with oil on one side and place the wrapper oil side down into mini muffin tins making sure to position the wrappers to leave room for the filling.Bake wrappers in a preheated 350F oven approximately 5 minutes.Just enough to crisp them up a bit.Remove from oven.Add filling to cups (about 2 teaspoons) to wontons and bake for approximately 10 minutes, just until filling is warmed through.Be careful not to burn the cups.Remove from oven and drizzle with sweet & sour sauce.Or: you may store the pre- baked (5 minute) wonton cups in a sealed container and refrigerate filling and assemble and finish baking for later use.


Jodies Kitchen Sweet & Sour Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch 
 In a pot heat first three ingredients together.While heating whisk together the ketchup and cornstarch together until all lumps are gone.Once the sugar has dissolved in the first mixture add the ketchup mixture and whisk together until smooth.Bring to a boil then remove from heat and let cool to room temp.


 Fried Crab Rangoon!


Filling is the same as the above recipe.Place small amount of filling into wonton wrappers.Wet finger and run around the edge of wrapper then press edges together to seal filling inside.Make sure you seal well so filling does not come out when fried.Place wontons a few at the time into deep fryer or a pot with oil and fry until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF