Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chicken and Corn Chowder

Jodies Kitchen Chicken & Corn Chowder



Its getting to be that time of year again we start to think of warm comforting dishes.
 I also like to make one pot dishes when I can and that's normally easy to do with soups, stews, and chowders.

 This version of my Chicken Corn Chowder is a little different than what I normally make, and is a little lighter, but still very delicious and still very comforting. It just wont leave you feeling like you ate a heavy meal.

 I do use sour cream in this for a different twist. It was completely by accident that I used sour cream...Well not an accident, but I was going to make my chowder which traditionally would have cream, bacon, cheese,& butter. I didn't have all the ingredients I needed, but was craving chowder so bad. I put my thinking cap on and came up with a new family favorite recipe.
I had a bowl for lunch and dinner and the guys each had a bowl then went back for seconds. I went for seconds at dinner only to find a empty pot.
 
This is a recipe I will be making a lot this fall and winter because it so easy and we all loved it so much. I think it will also be a good summer soup using fresh corn.

You always need something yummy to accompany a good chowder. The muffins that are pictured were a semi homemade muffin using a boxed muffin mix. I just added jalapeno and cheese to it. If you would like a good from scratch recipe I recommend you give my Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins a try, and if you don't do jalapeno, no worries just leave them out.
 
 Kitchen notes: At some point I will post the recipe for my original chicken corn chowder. If you would like to make some additions to this recipe until then, by all means go ahead. This is what I recommend.

Shredded cheese on top for garnish.
Replace oil with bacon grease
Use cooked crisp bacon on top for garnish
 
 
Jodies Kitchen Chicken & Corn Chowder
 
1 tablespoon oil
2 chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
1/2 small onion minced fine
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 quart good chicken stock
4 small potatoes diced
1 -8oz can corn rinsed and drained
8oz sour cream
Chives or green onion tops for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
 
 
In a large stock pot add oil. Bring oil to medium heat and sauté onion, chicken & thyme until browned with a little salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and potatoes. Simmer with lid on until potatoes are tender. Remove thyme sprigs.Add corn and simmer 5 minutes lid on. Turn heat off and add sour cream incorporating well. Add salt and pepper as desired and garnish with chives or green onion tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF