Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sweet & Spicy Pecan Bacon

Jodie Kitchen Sweet & Spicy Pecan Bacon




Warning these are addictive!

I never thought in a million years I would ever enjoy something like this.I for one was not one of those who really enjoyed the maple flavored bacon's at the store.I have mistakenly purchased it before and never end up eating it..just not my thing.

Several days ago I was handed the latest addition of the Food Networks Magazine and asked to make one of the recipes which was in it.Ina Garten's recipe to be exact, for caramelized bacon.I looked over it briefly and thought, sounds easy enough, I will give it a try.

I would be making this for a special occasion this coming Sunday..Now I don't always take my own advice but this time I did.I simply couldn't wait and make this recipe for the first time never having tried it, and serve to guest..So I thought I better get out the mag and make a trial batch..after reading the recipe I just decided that wasn't going to be the recipe I used..I couldn't use the Maple syrup it called for because I didn't have real maple syrup and I knew the fake stuff I had would just add more sweetness than anything.I also knew that the brown sugar would make it plenty sweet enough.I also decided to alter the recipe by using hand chopped pecans instead of putting them in the processor as her recipe called for.I wanted the nuts to really stand out.

After the first batch came out of the oven (yes I said first) 

I tried one bite and then another and another till before I realized it I only had one slice left.Needles to say I loved it and could not believe how addicting they were.Sweet, salty,spicy and nutty all at the same time.This was a bacon Nirvana.

 I was so happy with my new bacon creation that when I awoke this morning I got started right away with making another batch.They were gone within an hour..yes all by me with the exception of the one slice my little boy ate.

I am going to be very happy to serve my new addiction this Sunday and I know that everyone will be just as happy and addicted as I am. I had mine with some coffee this morning and it was a perfect match.



Jodies Kitchen Sweet & Spicy Pecan Bacon
 1/2 pound smoked bacon (thin or thick cut)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I use a little more for more heat)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (may use light)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used a bit more)
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil,then place a wire rake on top of that.
Cut your bacon strips in half.Lay your bacon on the rack and sprinkle each piece with the cayenne pepper evenly.Then sprinkle on the brown sugar,then the pecans,salt and pepper.
Bake about 20 to 25 minutes until the topping is browned (not burned) Cooking time will depend on the cut of bacon you are using.Take out of the oven and remove from rack.Good Luck.



2 comments:

  1. Oh I MUST make this...I Love salty, sweet, spicy foods! Cant wait to try it and I have all the ingredients except the pecans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn I sure hope you do give it a try,and I did make a few without the pecans because my Dad cant have them anymore.It is still fantastic.

      Delete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF