Saturday, January 11, 2014

Southern Smothered Chicken

Jodies Kitchen Southern Smothered Chicken


This smothered chicken is something Mom made us many times growing up. 

* Think of this one as chicken with a really rich gravy *

When I started compiling recipes I knew this would be one that I had to share.I make this often now for my family.

It does take a few steps before getting it into the oven,but I have provided step by step pictures for you. If you already know how to make gravy,then you are half way there. 
Full recipe at the bottom of page.
 


 
In a large skillet on medium heat I have added the butter to melt then added flour salt and pepper.


 
I have mixed well and I will let this cook about a minute.When making gravy it is usually important to let the flour cook a couple of minutes at this point so you wont have a raw flour taste.It is not that important with this recipe simply because its going to be cooked more later on.
I suggest you get a whisk ready at this point.

 
I have added my milk & white wine vinegar, whisking as I add so I will keep out any lumps. It is pretty thin at this point so we will need to cook just a few minutes until it thickens slightly.You will see in the recipe it calls for Sherry or the white wine vinegar.I use the vinegar because it's what I like. I have not added either of those before (sherry or vinegar) and it turns out good.But those do give a lovely added flavor.

 

 
This should give you a pretty good idea of what you would want your gravy to look like.You can see it has thickened up some and is now bubbling.This happened in just a few minutes. You really don't need this too thick since we will be cooking it again.

 
 
 I have now poured my gravy over top of my salt, peppered and un cooked chicken pieces.
In the recipe it calls for a whole chicken cut up or your favorite chicken parts.I only had 4 thighs I was cooking.This is not going to matter.Just don't go over 1 whole chicken or there will not be enough gravy.Trust me you will want that gravy.
You will also have to make the descision as to leave skin on or take skin off. It works great both ways. The original recipe calls for the skin on. I LOVE the skin on. 
Some of the skin gets very crispy,and the extra fat flavors your gravy while it cooks.If you leave all that skin on the chicken be warned you will have all that fat in your gravy..Not necessarily a bad thing,but something to consider.

At this point its all done cooking.The top 2 pieces of chicken have skin removed and the bottom two have skin on.You can see how it has become nice and crispy.My favorite part.
You can also see what a nice gravy you have ended up with in the bottom of the pan and how some has cooked right on top of the chicken. You can serve this with mashed potatoes which is my favorite way or rice if you wish.

 

 
 
Jodies Kitchen Southern Smothered Chicken
1 chicken cut up ( or pieces)
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sherry or 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar ...either of these are optional
Melt butter in large skillet.Add salt,pepper and flour.Mix together and cook 1 minute.With a whisk,add in milk sherry or vinegar if using, and cook until thickened slightly.Pour gravy over chicken that you have salted and peppered to taste, and bake in a 350F oven for 1 1/2 hours.Good Luck..jodie


1 comment:

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF