Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mexican Cornbread





My Mom has been making Mexican Cornbread for many years, She has pretty much used the same recipes for all those years, but trying a few different ones along the way.

At one of our Sunday dinners mom made this version and we all loved it so well.It is now the most requested and of course, a family favorite.

Now, I will tell you, at a Sunday Dinner at Moms its hard to make people wait for me to take pictures.So the original pic that I had taken for this post has been deleted and I added this one when I made the cornbread myself for our dinner one night.

It is so delicious and a good change from the mexican cornbreads that have the caned green chillie in them.We pickle our own jalapenos from our garden so they work great for this recipe.If you dont like jalapeno, by all means you can leave them out.



Jodies Kitchen Mexican Cornbread
1 & 1/2 Cup Self Rising Corn Meal
1 egg beaten
1 small can CREAMED style corn (see note)
1 medium onion diced
2 tbs. Chopped Pickled Jalapeno..Do more if you like (see note)
1/2 cup oil
8 oz. Sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese ..(see note)
In a large bowl mix all ingredients together mixing well.Pour into a 9X13 greased  Baking pan.Bake on 425F 10-15 minutes.
NOTES:
Corn Meal- Mom uses white Corn Meal,but either is fine.
Corn-When I say small can I'm not sure of the exact size,but it is the one that is around 1/2 size of 8 oz. not the 15or so ounces.But it must be creamed style.
Jalapeno-This recipe uses the Pickled jalapeno not fresh.You may add more than the recipe if you wish.
Cheese-You can switch up the cheddar for a spicy Jack if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF