Monday, September 15, 2014

Sweet Cornbread Muffins






I will be the first tell to tell you sweet cornbread is something I did not grow up on.
Cornbread was something we always had, but I had never had sweet cornbread until I lived in Pennsylvania for a summer.I was in a restaurant and when I ordered my cornbread I noticed at first bite it was way sweeter than anything I had ever had before that Mom or Grandma always made.
When I started cooking more on my own and asked Mom for her recipe, she quickly told me she had no recipe and just always eyeballed it. So I watched her several times over the years before ever trying to make it myself...I will say It took a few times before I could serve a decent pan of cornbread to my family.
 I threw out many pans of dry choke on it cornbread, burnt and bland cornbread.
 Since Mom didn't teach me to make sweet cornbread I guess I had forgotten about the bread I had eaten when up North all those years ago,until I had it again, right here in the good old south.
This time it happened to be at a dinner that was being hosted at the nursing
home my Grandma Smith lived at. I really enjoyed the sweetness with the meal we were having and decided I would purchase a box of Jiffy cornbread mix to make at home...Mom said that's probably what is was anyway. I made the box mix and to me it tasted exactly the same as what I had had at the home.
I then went on a mission to figure out how to make it from scratch. I dug out numerous cookbooks and tried many different recipes, some calling for honey some calling for white sugar.I finally came up with a version my family and I liked.
I still have to be in the mood for sweet cornbread muffins and they will never take the place of my regular pan of cornbread with pinto beans, but when I do want a sweet cornbread muffin this is my go to recipe now.

By the way
I do still keep a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix on hand when I don't feel like making any from scratch.
Jodies Kitchen Sweet Corn Bread Muffins
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter room temp
2 eggs room temp
1 cup corn meal-yellow
1-1/2 flour-all purpose
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
(1)Preheat oven to 375F, spray muffin pans with baking spray or grease pan with your choice.
(2)Cream sugar and butter together, add eggs and beat until well combined. Add corn meal and stir well.
(3)In a separate bowl,sift together flour,baking powder,and salt,mix well. Add milk and beat until well combined.
(4)Add both mixtures together and blend until all ingredients are incorporated well.
(5)Pour batter into muffin tins and bake until done, about 15 to 20 minutes depending on size of muffin tins.



2 comments:

  1. I adore jiffy corn muffins, but have never had them homemade! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF