Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Honeybuns

Jodies Kitchen Homemade Honeybun




If I told you this was one of my families all time favorite desserts would you believe me? Maybe not since I tell you that often with many of my recipes.
 
Honestly out of all of my desserts this one is definitely the most requested by family and friends.
 
I always plan to make several when I make this just because if one person in the family knows I am making it and the word gets out then the phone starts to ring and normally the voices on the other end are saying:
Jodie, I heard you were making honeybuns. If I pay for the stuff will you make me some?
This has been happening a couple years now and since Mom doesn't make these It's normally up to me to supply the family. Of course I don't mind.
 
I recently was making a few honeybuns and decided to take some over to my sister n law when she was recovering from surgery. It was the first time they had eaten my homemade honeybuns.
My husband let me know while I was gone one day she had tried finding the recipe on my blog and fb page with no luck. He told her it was a secret recipe.
So she asked him what others normally ask
"If I buy the ingredients will she make me some more"?
 
I really could have died when he told her it was secret.
This recipe has been around a while and can be found in cookbooks, wrote down on recipe cards in many homes and all over the internet I am sure.
 
These delicious honeybuns are so easy to make and really do taste like a real honey bun but even better.
 
If you have never eaten a store-bought honeybun but love cinnamon this recipe will be a hit in your family as well.
 
This is a semi scratch recipe because you will use a cake mix to start. I choose to use the cinnamon powder that can be found in the Mexican food spice section of my grocery store BADIA Cinnamon Powder. You can use which ever cinnamon you like, I have used store brand before and it works fine I just find this brand has a deeper cinnamon flavor. Just don't try and skip the glaze on this one or you will not have a true honeybun.
 
Pan sizes with this recipe are very forgiving. I make this in a 9x13inch pan when I need a large one. I divide it into two 8x8inch pans when I need two smaller honeybuns,it could even be made in loaf pans. The recipe calls for glass pans but as you can see I use the disposable ones as well and they work just fine.
 
Glazed 9x13
 
 
8x8 before glaze
 

  
 
Jodies Kitchen Homemade Honeybun
Bun
1 box yellow cake mix.
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Cinnamon Mix
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
Mix together well in small bowl
 
Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
4 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Mix together well in a bowl
 Preheat oven 325F
In a large bowl combine cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream until most lumps are gone. Pour half of your batter into an ungreased 9x13 or baking pan of your choice. Sprinkle the cinnamon mix all over top of batter. Spoon the other half over batter onto the cake covering the cinnamon mixture.With a butter knife make swirls throughout the cake resembling a honeybun. Bake cake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Once cake is done baking and still warm cover with your glaze.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF