Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Fresh Summer Salad

Jodies Kitchen Fresh Summer Salad




We are so blessed this time of year with fresh local ingredients in my area.
Whether you pick these ingredients right from your own garden,get them from the farmers market,or even purchase them at the local grocery store,they are worth having and using as a great side dish at any cookout, potluck or with your families meal.

I wont go so far as to call it healthy,although we know these ingredients have a higher nutritional value being raw,I have added the dressing which is packed with calories.
Sorry!
But!
Well, I am not on a diet,it taste good and it is gorgeous if I must say so myself.

The inspiration for this recipe actually came from two different people.Ina Garten being one.I was watching her show on Food Network one day and she had made a beautiful multicolored salad similar to this.
The only thing I remembered about it was the fresh green beans,wax beans and the corn.I searched and searched for the recipe and could not find it.
I thought well I know what ingredients I like so I will go with that.Not seeing the whole episode I had no idea what dressing she used.
This is where the second person comes in.
My Cousin Crystal's, Aunt Cathy.
If you have read post before in which I referenced the awesome salad she brought to a cookout,then you know how crazy I am over her dressing and how I look for anything to put it on.I knew right away that dressing would compliment my Fresh Summer Salad.

There is only one ingredient in this delicious dish that is cooked,and that is the green beans.They are only blanched for a few minutes,and that is optional.I like a crisp bean in this salad but don't really care for raw.The corn is so sweet this time of year you don't even have to cook it,and it stays sweet and crunchy for this delicious salad.I did add a green onion to this as shown in the pic.
Honestly I didn't care for the green onion in it,and chose not to include it in the recipe.
You could always play around with the ingredients,and I actually intended on adding asparagus also,but didn't have any on hand.The veggies will put out some moister after this sits awhile so you will find a lot of liquid before serving.You may choose to drain some of that off,but I didn't and it taste fantastic. 
Oh, and by the way,before there is another discussion on Harocot Vert meaning Green Bean in french.I do realize this.I specify this type of bean in my recipe so you will not get the big fat green beans that are sometimes common here in the U.S. A slimmer more tender bean is better in this recipe.



Jodies Kitchen Fresh Summer Salad
Makes about 6-1/2 cup servings
Salad  
1/2 pound green beans blanched in salt water 4 minutes.I used Haricot Verts
2 ears fresh corn cut from cob & un cooked I used the multi colored white & yellow
3/4 cups chopped sweet peppers.I use yellow orange & red bells
2 cups broccoli florets un cooked.
Dressing
4 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil,or canola
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Accent seasoning.(Optional,but does make a difference)
After green beans have been blanched put into an ice bath.Then take out and drain well removing all water.Cut beans in half.Add all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.Mix all dressing ingredients together and mix well in a separate container.I like using a mason jar.Add dressing to salad and toss well.Cover and refrigerate for at-least 30 minutes.Make sure to toss again before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF