Sunday, November 9, 2014

Deer (Venison) Chili






No time to dress this picture up for you all.It's just my I-Pad and a delicious pot of deer chili on my stove top.

I came up with this recipe myself one day when I had plenty of fresh deer meat.I figured I could take my recipe for regular CHILI  and make a similar version. I did! It worked!
It worked very well I must say.The family loved it and we all gobbled it right down with some crackers on the side.

You will notice I used salsa, I actually used my homemade, but store bought is fine.I do this because it has peppers and onions already in it, therefore I have no chopping to do.So before you wonder if you can skip anything store bought in this.Of course you can.It will change the recipe slightly but should still be fine.

I add country sausage to this (breakfast sausage) because it gives it a different texture and adds great  flavor.I probably would not change this, but of course if you must make chilli and dont have the sausage, GO FOR IT!

Jodies Kitchen Deer Chili
Oil enough for browning meats
1 pound country breakfast sausage browned and drained
1 pound deer meat cut into very small pieces
1 & 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
16 black beans drained
16 kidney beans drained
crushed tomatoes 2 (8) oz cans or fresh crushed
Salsa 16 oz
2 1/2 cups water + as needed
In a large heavy bottom, heated pot, add oil.Then add deer pieces and brown well on all sides.Add in the browned sausage,chili powder,cayenne,salt & pepper.Cook while stirring about 3 minutes.Add to pot, beans,tomatoes and water.Stir well and add a lid to pot.Let simmer on low adding additional water if needed and stirring occasionally until deer chunks are very tender and chili has thickened.This will take several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT MY RECIPES!

Print Friendly and PDF